Philippe Coutinho scored a late equaliser on his debut as Aston Villa recovered from two down to attract 2-2 with Manchester United at Villa Park on Saturday.
United regarded set to seal a morale-boosting and hard-fought victory because of Bruno Fernandes’ brace, however Villa fought again within the closing 13 minutes to safe an unlikely level.
There was undoubtedly a touch of fortune about United’s opener, an Emiliano Martinez howler permitting Fernandes to attain for less than the second time within the Premier League since September, however the Portugal star’s second was an emphatic effort.
That regarded as if it will be sufficient for United, however Jacob Ramsey scored after which teed up new mortgage signing Coutinho to rescue a draw with a dream debut objective.
2 – Jacob Ramsey is Aston Villa’s second-youngest Premier League scorer in opposition to Manchester United (20y 232d), after Gabriel Agbonlahor in January 2007 (20y 92d). Fearless. pic.twitter.com/7KW9EbXFvy OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 15, 2022
It took United – who have been with out Cristiano Ronaldo and Marcus Rashford attributable to damage – simply six minutes to attain, although Martinez gave them greater than a serving to hand, inexplicably permitting Fernandes’ long-range strike squirm by way of his legs.
Villa got here to life in direction of the tip of the half, however David de Gea was equal to Emi Buendia’s near-post header and debutant Lucas Digne’s managed strike.
Possibilities continued to stream at both finish after the restart, with Anthony Elanga going shut twice and Ramsey forcing De Gea into a sensible save.
However Fernandes was much less wasteful, his drive clattering in off the crossbar after a Morgan Sanson error led to Fred feeding United’s captain.
Villa rallied, nonetheless. Ramsey pulled one again with a well-taken left-footed end contained in the field earlier than taking part in an inch-perfect cross throughout objective for Coutinho to smash dwelling 5 minutes later.
1 – Philippe Coutinho didn’t handle a objective or help in any of his seven Premier League appearances in opposition to Manchester United whereas taking part in for Liverpool (480 minutes), however netted Villa’s equaliser simply 14 minutes into his debut for the membership. Dream. pic.twitter.com/0b0JEDVf4U
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 15, 2022
What does it imply? Villa’s dwelling hoodoo continues however draw seems like a win
It’s now 23 dwelling Premier League matches for Aston Villa with out a win in opposition to United, extending the longest such run one aspect has had in opposition to one other in English Soccer League historical past.
When Fernandes noticed his 67th-minute strike go in off the crossbar, Villa seemed to be utterly with out hope contemplating that they had beforehand been wasteful.
However the late turnaround surprised United, who missed the prospect to go transfer as much as sixth within the desk, with their top-four hopes taking one other disappointing blow.
Emi’s buen dia
Ramsey had a decisive position, and Coutinho obtained the essential equaliser, however when it comes to an general standout participant for Villa, it’s troublesome to look previous Buendia. The Argentinian midfielder actually pulled the strings because the hosts regarded to drag themselves stage, his 4 key passes greater than anybody else managed on the pitch.
Cavani a disappointment
You possibly can argue Edinson Cavani had a job in United’s first objective, together with his flailing leg maybe placing Martinez off, however that was arguably about probably the most he contributed within the closing third. He didn’t register a single shot or key cross in a largely nameless outing, which was made much more damning by the very fact he someway accomplished the total 90 minutes.
Key Opta Information
– In all competitions, Manchester United are unbeaten of their previous 23 away video games in opposition to Aston Villa (W17 D6), since a 3-0 loss within the EFL Cup in October 1999. No aspect in English soccer historical past has had an extended unbeaten away run in opposition to an opponent when either side have performed within the prime 4 tiers on the time.
– United didn’t win a Premier League away recreation during which they led by two or extra targets for the primary time since January 2016 in opposition to Newcastle United (3-3).
– The Pink Devils (10/10) are one among simply two sides to have scored in all of their Premier League away video games this season alongside Leicester Metropolis (9/9).
– Jacob Ramsey grew to become the primary Aston Villa participant to each rating and help in opposition to United in a single Premier League recreation since John Carew in April 2009 and the third-youngest participant to do it in opposition to the Pink Devils within the Premier League general after Kelechi Iheanacho in September 2016 and Harry Kewell in November 1998.
– Philippe Coutinho made his first Premier League look in 1477 days (for Liverpool vs Leicester in December 2017). His equaliser was the primary league objective he has ever scored in opposition to United in his eighth look in opposition to them.
United make their first ever Premier League journey to Brentford on Wednesday, whereas Villa go to Everton three days later in what may very well be a contest bursting with narratives as Digne faces his former membership and Gerrard goes up in opposition to Rafael Benitez… assuming the Spaniard shouldn’t be sacked first.